What is periodontal disease:
Periodontal disease is a serious inflammatory condition, caused by a bacterial infection, forming “pockets” that become infected. As periodontal disease advances, the infection can destroy the ligaments and bone that support your teeth. Periodontal disease is the number one reason adults lose teeth.
What are the symptoms?
If you have periodontal disease
• your gums may bleed when you brush
• your gums may be soft, swollen, or tender
• your teeth may become loose
• you may have persistent bad breath
It is also possible to have no noticeable symptoms. In fact most people who have periodontal disease are not even aware of it.
Treatment includes non-surgical scaling and root planing to remove plaque and tarter below the gumline. We might insert medicine at the infection site, typically Arestin or Atridox. We may use the soft tissue laser to treat any unresponsive areas. After treatment Perio-Protect trays will be fabricated to prevent the spread and progression of periodontal disease. As part of treatment we may recommend the use of waterpik, electric toothbrush, or other products to help with your homecare. Periodontal disease may be silent and serious, but the sooner you begin treatment, the better chance we have bringing it under control. Our goal is to save your smile.
Facts: Your mouth “talks” to your body and your body “talks” to your mouth
• Tooth loss and gum disease increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
• Gum diseases increase pancreatic and kidney cancer risk by 62%.
• The surgeon general reports that at least 80% of American adults have gum disease.
• Pregnant woman with gum disease have only 1 in 7 chance of giving birth to a healthy child of normal size/ weight
• Gum disease increases the risk of head and neck cancer
• People with gum disease are twice as likely to die from heart disease and 3 times as likely to die from stroke.
• Research has found an association between gum disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
• Diabetes and bleeding gum increases risk of death of premature death by 400-700%.